Monday, November 5, 2012

Gifts



If the golden rule of the Bible is to love others as you love yourself, the golden rule of giving and receiving gifts is “it’s the thought that counts.”  My parents taught me to always express gratitude upon receipt of a gift, regardless of whether I liked the gift or not.  This can be a difficult concept for a little girl with picky tastes, but after all of these years of practice, I’ve mastered it. 
            During my time in Argentina, I have received so many gifts from people, both tangible and intangible.  These gestures of generosity and hospitality have really brought to life the golden rule of gift-giving.  The gifts have not been given out of a sense of obligation (my birthday happened before I arrived and Christmas is still a month away) but rather out of love.  As we discussed in our morning prayer at El Arca today, when we love others, good actions, attitudes, and intentions naturally follow.  Therefore, if we make donations, volunteer, or give gifts only because we think we should, we are missing the point.  A gift given without love has no meaning. 
            Among the people who have given me gifts in Argentina, the children of Santo Sacramento stand out in my mind.  Every Sunday I receive drawings, cards, and art projects from my “students.”  Receiving a hand-made card that says “Lisa te quiero mucho” (Lisa I love you a lot) is the greatest feeling.  They also give the greatest hugs, and I am especially delighted whenever they offer to help me clean up.  My students don’t have the ability to offer extravagant gifts, but their affection means so much more.  Their gestures of generosity and love make me feel wanted, welcome and appreciated.  Although their drawings aren’t worth anything economically, I sometimes wonder how I can ever repay them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment