Sunday, November 25, 2012

¡Zumba!



During my final year at St. Olaf College (2011-2012), I had the pleasure of attending a zumba class twice a week, taught by fellow Ole Chloe Vraney.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the wonders of zumba, zumba is a form of aerobic exercise that incorporates Latin and hip hop dance moves.  The instructor faces his/her students and the students mirror his/her movements as accurately as possible, but the most important thing is to just keep moving to the music! 

In zumba I found an outlet for the stress I experienced in college, as well as a way of exercising that didn’t bore or discourage me.  I have always loved dancing, so by doing zumba, I tricked myself into doing exercise while having fun!  Doing zumba fills me with an unparalleled joy; in the space of a zumba class, I feel uninhibited, free to move my body without worrying about what others might think.  In the supportive environment of a zumba class, I truly dance as if no one were watching. 

I went to so many zumba classes last year that I learned many of the routines by memory, and I have been able to use this ability as a tool here in Argentina.  At first I used it exclusively for myself as a way to exercise, but doing zumba by yourself in your room just isn’t the same as doing it with a group of people.  With slight hesitation, I began to investigate the possibility of leading zumba at my volunteer placements.

To my delight, the people at El Arca and Santo Sacramento loved the idea!  I have now led two zumba classes at the El Arca workshop and one at Santo Sacramento.  I also led a zumba class during the first YAGM retreat this past week in Colonia Valdense, Uruguay (see the next blog entry for more on the retreat). 

I am so grateful for the opportunity to share my passion for dancing with people here, and I am happy to report that they seem to enjoy it too!  I believe that in order to be healthy, we need to be able to laugh in fellowship with others, and doing zumba to fun dance music meets that need well.  Therefore, although dancing to “Danza Kuduro” and “Waka Waka” may seem like meaningless diversion on the surface, in reality it means a lot more. 

I thank God for giving me the passion and talent for dancing, and thank Chloe Vraney for inspiring me and giving me the tools to share that passion with others! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Lisa! Congrats on leading Zumba class :) As always, I loved reading this blog entry!

    ReplyDelete