Monday, October 15, 2012

Let's Celebrate!



A few weeks ago, Barbi, the director of the El Arca workshop, read an excerpt from a book by Jean Vanier (founder of L’Arche) during our morning devotions.  I don’t remember the details of the excerpt clearly, but I do remember the gist of his message.  Vanier wrote that celebrations are important not only as avenues for fellowship and love, but also because they give us strength to face the difficulties we encounter in life.  In more colloquial language, we could say that celebrations help us to stay on bright side of life and “lighten up.”  The healing power of celebration is especially valuable in the context of El Arca in which hardships such as poverty, family conflict, and sickness are complicated by the presence of a disability.

El Arca Argentina stays true to the organization’s commitment to celebration.  In other words, they know how to throw a party! Since my first day at El Arca on September 3rd, I have attended birthday celebrations for five people!  Each celebration is full of smiles, laughter, jokes, food, and words of encouragement. 

Claudio’s birthday celebration was especially memorable.  It was beautiful to see him showered with love by his new El Arca family, react with happy tears, and joke around with Padre Dani (who threatened to eat Claudio’s portion of the cake) during lunch.  I am so happy that he has found a place of belonging at El Arca but continue to worry about his health.  He has not attended the workshop for over a week now due to his digestion problems.  It has been difficult to accept that I am limited in my ability to change this situation.  

Another beautiful birthday celebration was Julio's birthday party!  He had one of the most festive cakes I had ever seen, which you can see in these photos:


From left to right: Rosi, Patricia, Barbi and Julio


From left to right: Diego, Maxi, Padre Dani, Julio, Dani and Osvaldo

On Tuesday, October 9th, El Arca communities around the world celebrated the annual L'Arche Family day!  Friends of El Arca were invited to join us at the home for a morning mass, a small group activity, and hamburgers!  I met lots of new people, including a man named Dante who just finished an experience similar to mine, except that he was living in a L'Arche home in Cork, Ireland for 5 months, and at another L'Arche home in Montreal for 6 months.  His first contact with the international federation had been in his native Argentina with the community in which I have inserted myself. 

After lunch, Maxi and I put on an impromptu "show" featuring two songs by the Argentine boy band "Mambru."  Later on, Noelia and Osvaldo took my place on the stage.  Here's the photo evidence:




 I love this one!!

In other El Arca news, last Thursday, Noelia, Maxi andYanet had the opportunity of a lifetime!  Patricia (director of El Arca Argentina) and Rosi (director of the home) surprised them with a trip to the site of the TV show “La Voz Argentina” (the Argentine version of “The Voice”- a singing competition).  I think I was just as surprised as the recipients!  Noelia has been talking to me about La Voz and the singer Axel, who is one of the judges on the show, every day since I met her!  It was literally a dream come true.  I’m so happy for them and I can’t wait to hear all about it- another cause for celebration!

Here's a photo I snagged of them before they left:




Yanet, Noelia, Patricia, Rosi and Maxi

And now, before I say “chao,” some completely unrelated photos of my culinary and crafty pursuits during my free time:


Wallet I knitted out of plastic bags for Kjerstin's (fellow YAGM) birthday!


Chocolate chip cookies for Kjerstin and housemates


 "Tarta Pascualina" (Easter Tart), an Argentine specialty.  It's essentially spinach pie, with some eggs, cheese, and whatever other veggies you want to throw in there.  Mine has red pepper, onion, garlic, and asparagus.

My dulce de leche "casero" (homemade) with banana!



No comments:

Post a Comment