Saturday, September 15, 2012

My El Arca "Family"



As anyone who has worked, volunteered, or lived in an El Arca/L’Arche community will tell you, friendship is central to the L’Arche philosophy and lifestyle.  Consequently, most of the “work” I have done so far is intangible.  Of course there are concrete tasks along the way- assembling “sopapas” (drain stoppers), washing dishes, folding laundry, making visits to the medical center or psychologist etc., but they are secondary to the relationships I am forming. 

At first this was hard for me to accept.  I felt that I wasn’t being productive enough, true to my North American cultural heritage.  Yet I’m becoming accustomed to the relaxed pace of the workshop and home, and the people there have become my adoptive Argentinian family.      

I have written bios for some of my friends at El Arca so you can get to know them too:

Osvaldo:

Osvaldo is a charming man of 64 years.  He is a loyal fan of “Boca,” one of the Buenos Aires futbol teams.  He has a boca flag in his room, a boca backpack that he takes everywhere, and a boca mug.  On Wednesday afternoons when Juan leads the painting workshop, Osvaldo always wants to use the boca colors: yellow and blue.  Osvaldo endures much harassment from the “River” fans, who greatly outnumber him. 

Osvaldo is also a great, affectionate friend.  During my first week at El Arca, he showed me his photo album, which is full of pictures of his friends.  One of his favorites is Padre (father) Pepe, the priest who suggested that Osvaldo live in the home to begin with.  Osvaldo talks about Padre Pepe and his godparents often. 

Osvaldo and I share a passion for desserts.  He becomes very animated when a dessert appears.  I would say that I become just as animated but I hide my excitement. 

Maxi:

Maxi is a 20-year-old bundle of energy.  He likes to sing, play basketball, and swim.  Maxi has been teaching me to sing songs by the Argentinian rock band "Mambru," and on Thursday, we played a game of basketball at the park with some local kids. 

Julio:

Julio and I always sit next to each other at lunch, because we are creatures of habit, and because, as he says “nos cameos bien” (we like each other/get along with each other).  Julio is one of the most polite people I’ve ever met.  He always asks me how I’m doing and whether I’ve talked with my parents and how they’re doing.  Sometimes it’s difficult for me to understand what he is saying, but he says I’m getting better.  He’s very patient with me. 

Sandra:

Sandra is 21 and full of life.  She a great “matera” (drinker of mate) and loves to listen to music.  She also has a taste for large, rose colored sunglasses.  I don’t see her as often as the others because she goes to school during the day.  It didn’t take long for her to warm up to me, though.  She says we are great friends already. 

Marcos:

Marcos (Marquitos, affectionately) is a sweet boy of 14.  He is blind but has, in my opinion, a remarkable awareness of who surrounds him.  A mere hour or so after first meeting me, he could tell who I was by my voice, or by feeling my face or arm.  Marcos also goes to school, so I don’t see him a lot.  He and I have listened to his reggaeton CD together a few times though. 

Dani:

Dani is a fan of “River” but a great friend of Osvaldo’s nonetheless.  In addition to attending the workshop, he has an internship with a local carpenter.  Dani is very talkative and has given me many tips about staying safe in Argentina.  In addition to carpentry, he enjoys playing the guitar and fishing.

Noelia:

Noelia is the biggest fan ever of the Argentinian popstar Axel, who is now one of the judges on “La Voz Argentina” (the Argentinian version of “The Voice.”)  Noelia talks about Axel often and likes to sing his songs (with a lovely voice I must say) and watch “La Voz.”  Noelia is also the proud aunt of a tiny baby girl who she looks after from time to time.

Yanet:

Yanet is a talented artist.  I have seen her draw castles, dogs, ballerinas, and unicorns.  She is soft-spoken and kind and comes a few days each week with her brother Diego.  We celebrated Diego’s birthday on the 11th.  He treated us to his special homemade pizza. 


So there you have it, a snap shot of the people I’ve been spending my time with these days.  I am in good hands!  





1 comment:

  1. El Arche es el lugar por tu. bien amigos. gracias para tus noticias cada semana.

    ReplyDelete