Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Connecting through Song



Yesterday was a special day at “El Arca” because I was able to accompany a friend from Santo Sacramento, Claudio, there!  We had been trying to arrange this for several days, but unfortunately, Claudio wasn’t feeling well last week.  I was so relieved and happy to finally be able to bring him there.  Everyone at El Arca gave him a warm welcome, complete with a welcome song at lunch (I learn something new about El Arca traditions everyday!), and I am glad to report that Claudio had a great first day!


It turns out that Claudio is a Boca fan, so now Osvaldo has an ally on the “cancha” (soccer field).  Claudio is not, however, a fan of the singer Axel, but Noelia is trying to convert him nevertheless.  Today, while cleaning up after lunch in the kitchen, Noelia and I broke into song with Axel’s “Celebra La Vida” (Celebrate Life), and Claudio booed us!  Noelia and Claudio will have to agree to disagree I guess.  Meanwhile, Noelia will continue to teach me Axel repertoire.

Claudio prefers cumbia and reggaeton.  Luckily, I know some reggaeton songs myself, primarily thanks to all those zumba classes I attended last year.  On the walk back to the taller, he and I sang “danza kuduro,” “pobre diabla” and “ven bailalo.”

Speaking of songs, before eating our weekly pizza on Sundays at Santo Sacramento, we have a quirky prayer ritual.  We hum “The Adams Family” theme song, and then we sing “Bendice señor la mesa, bendice los alimentos, bendice a todos y a todas, Amen” (Bless o lord the table, bless the foods, bless all of us, Amen).  Then, we all hold hands, and chant, while shaking our clasped hands up and down “BUEN PROVECHO!” (bon apetit- do we even have a version of this in English??).  Actually, I think the buen provecho part is  fairly common.  I really like it- it’s a beautiful way to start a meal with friends. 

I have always loved to sing, but I never imagined that singing with my new friends in Argentina would play such an important, yet informal role in making personal connections.

Earlier on this blog I mentioned the possibility of starting a choir at Santo Sacramento.  To be honest, I doubt that this will happen because of how young the children I work with are (3-5 years old) and because of the informal nature of the Sunday activities.  We don’t need to form a choir to sing though.  This Sunday I tried to teach them a hymn while they were coloring- I sang a phrase and then had them repeat it and so on.  They didn’t quite catch on, but I was delighted that they actually took interest in learning it.  I hope to learn a song or two from them as well.

Today is unfortunately quite rainy, but on the plus side, it gave me an excuse to sing “I’m singing in the rain . . .”  It’s too bad that movie isn’t well known here in Argentina.  Well, you can’t have everything!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment