Tuesday, August 14, 2012

La Aventura Empieza- The Adventure Begins


When I was considering applying for the "Young Adults in Global Mission" (YAGM) program this spring, I remember browsing the website and stumbling upon the phrase "walking together" and the word "accompaniment."  I found, expressed on the YAGM website, a philosophy that rang true with my being.  YAGM exists, in part, to give young adults from the U.S. the opportunity to walk beside global brothers and sisters in humility and compassion.  The intention of YAGM, a program of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is not to proselytize or to rescue, but to form relationships, broaden minds, and to collaborate with global partners in combating social injustice.  The Church wants its volunteers to come back "globally-formed and globally-informed."

So, I took the plunge and applied for the program.  Two months later, I accepted a placement in Argentina.  I have committed to a year of service, simple living, and undoubtedly amazing adventures.  I am so grateful and blessed to have this opportunity.  It excites me emotionally, intellectually (Spanish and culture yahoo!) and spiritually. 

I have two work placements, both in Buenos Aires Province but outside of the city limits.  In San Isidro, I will be working at "El Arca,"  a group home and workshop for people with developmental disabilities.  El Arca is part of the international L'Arche organization, founded by French Canadian Jean Vanier in the 1960s.  Check out the USA L'Arche website to learn more: http://www.larcheusa.org/  On Sundays, I will be leading Sunday school activities (most likely involving art and music) at a Lutheran Church in Villa Ballester.  I will also be living in Villa Ballester.

Tonight is my last night in Minneapolis.  Tomorrow I leave for a week-long orientation in Chicago, and then on the 22nd it's off to SOUTH AMERICA!  (Grover the flight attendant on Sesame Street anyone??)  I'm slightly frazzled, but in a good way. 

Thank you everyone reading for your support and friendship.  I'm so glad I know you!

¡Hasta pronto! (Talk to you soon)

Lisa   

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, Lisa. Enjoy the country, and have some fun!

    It was a pleasure working with you this past summer. - Doug Walter

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Flight 3 to SOUTH AMERICA now boarding. Final call." Thanks for spreading the good word, Lisa. I learn from you. Buen viaje. Do good works. The church there will love you. Now waiter, check please! Don't let Grover make you miss your flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Lisa! I hope you are enjoying your first few days in South America. I can't wait to read your blog entries about everything there!

    ReplyDelete